How To Make French Press Coffee!
Most of us have heard about the aromatic and rich coffee that is made in the French press, but do we know how to make French press coffee? Are you aware that if you do not use a timer while making French press coffee then you may end up having bitter coffee? To solve your queries, in this post we have discussed the right way to make coffee by using French press, some amazing tips to hone your coffee-making skills, and the best French presses available in the market.
So, let’s begin! Generally known as press pot and coffee plunger, the French press is a simple device that was invented in the year 1929. Gradually, the French press underwent several changes and turned out to be an amazing tool for making aromatic and flavorful coffee. An important feature of French press is that it does not require electricity and is extremely convenient to carry. This is the reason; it is an ideal solution for preparing delicious coffee while traveling.
There are several models of French press available in the market and depending on your preference and use, you can purchase one. For instance, if you are looking for a French press to fulfill your travel needs then buy the one that is made up of plastic instead of glass.
The most important principle of French press is that the coffee ground has to be pressed with the plunger, which makes the coffee all the more rich in taste. However, it does not have a heater or steamer, so you need to boil the water before adding to it. Also, to make an aromatic cup of coffee, you have to ground the coffee beans freshly in a grinder. This makes the entire session of making coffee time-consuming. Even if making coffee with French press takes time, but the outcome is always a flavorful cup of coffee and is well worth the extra effort.
How to use the French Press?
For decades, the French press has been the best method to make the purest cup of coffee or tea. It effectively extracts the essential oils from the coffee beans and delivers a unique flavor. So, let’s learn how to use the French press properly and make an aromatic cup of coffee. Listed below are the ingredients required for making coffee by using the French press:
- French press
- Coffee beans – pre-grounded or whole
- Burr grinder
- Spoon to stir
- Coffee cups to serve
Other than the above-mentioned ingredients, it is important to know the exact French press coffee ratio so that you can make a perfect cup everytime. Below-mentioned are the ratios, but remember that the water required for pre-heating and cleaning the French press is not included in the ratio stated beneath.
- If you have a French press that makes 3 cups of coffee, then you need to add 17 gm of coffee to 275 ml of water.
- If you have a French press that makes 4 cups of coffee, then you need to add 27 gm of coffee to 430 ml of water.
- Moreover, if you have a French press that makes 8 cups of coffee, then you need to add 54 gm of coffee to 860 ml of water.
If you stick to the aforesaid ratio, then you will never go wrong in making the perfect beverage.
That said; here is an easy recipe to make coffee by using French press:
- Boil the water for coffee and let it rest for 30 seconds. You need to boil the quantity of water as per the ratio plus some more water for pre-heating the French press.
- Add a part of the boiled water to the French press. Ensure that one-quarter of the French press is filled with water.
- Press the plunger till the end and swirl hot water for 10 seconds.
- Remove the plunger as well as the lid.
- Discard the water. The above steps are necessary for cleaning the French press well before use and for pre-heating it.
- Use a burr grinder for grounding coffee beans on a coarse setting. Grounding the beans appropriately is very important. You can also skip this step and purchase pre-grounded coffee beans.
- Add the ground coffee into the French press and shake it a little so that the coffee settles well.
- The next step is known as bloom. In this step, you need to pour half (as per the ratio) of hot water on the ground. The water helps in releasing trapped gases in the coffee ground and leads to its expansion.
- Let it sit for 30 seconds. This is an important step as it extracts the essential oils from the coffee and helps in making it flavorful.
- After 30 seconds, mix the coffee gently with the help of a spoon for 5 seconds. This helps in mixing the grounds evenly with water.
- Then, add the remaining hot water in the French press. Place the lid and let the plunger be pulled all the way up.
- Allow the coffee to steep well in the water for 3 to 4 minutes.
- The final step is to press the plunger slowly till the end of the French press. It will help in filtering the grounds from the coffee.
- Yippee! Your coffee is ready! Pour it instantly in the coffee mug and enjoy a flavorful and aromatic cup of coffee.
If you are finding it difficult to use the French press accurately for making a perfect brew, then here are some tips:
- Ensure that your French press has been thoroughly cleaned. If there are any old coffee grounds stuck in the mesh filter then your coffee is surely going to taste bitter.
- Always ground the coffee beans right before brewing. This will ensure that your coffee has a pleasant flavor and aroma.
- Using a scale while brewing will save you from guesswork. So, it is recommended to use one for making the perfect brew.
- As soon as the coffee is prepared, serve it instantly, because if you let it sit in the French press for long, it will turn bitter.
Moreover, the French press can not only make flavorful black coffee, but can also make foamed latte coffee. There are several 2-piece or 3-piece coffee sets available in the market that have a French press as well as a milk frother. While your French press is making coffee, you can use the milk frother to make foamy milk. Just pump the frother for 10-20 seconds, and you will be able to see foam forming in the milk. Then, in a coffee cup, fill one-quarter part with freshly brewed black coffee. Next, fill the entire cup with foamed milk. Garnish it with powdered nutmeg or cinnamon. Your latte is ready! Relish the freshly brewed foamy latte!
Other than this, your French press can be used in making several other kinds of coffees and teas. So, let your creativity flow and be acquainted with the versatility and effectiveness of the French press.
Impressive isn’t it? Are you planning to buy one for yourself? There are several options available in the market and selecting the best one can be tricky. To solve your problem, here are the three best French Presses obtainable in the market. You can select one as per your preference and budget.
Frieling French Press:
The Frieling French Press is made up of stainless steel, which helps in making strong coffees. It has a combination of double wall and stainless steel, thus providing excellent insulation. This helps in retaining maximum heat inside the press, which extracts more flavors from the coffee ground. Thus, making a strong cup of coffee becomes extremely simple and quick. The full length handle is super comfortable in the hand. It has a 2-stage filter system that uses a pre-filter and super-fine mesh filter. Therefore, there are no chances of having sediments in your cup. The coffee maker can be disassembled easily for having a thorough wash. Moreover, it is dishwasher safe.
Kona French Press:
The Kona French press is a classic coffee maker that is made up of glass. The coffee brewed is this French press is absolutely delicious and full of flavors. The handle is comfortable and easy to use, thus ensuring a mess-free pouring. The insulated outer shell is not only stylish but also protects the glass coffee pot from cracks. It is a portable tea and coffee maker that can be used while traveling or in offices. The French press is easy to clean as it is dishwasher safe. Moreover, the stainless steel infuser filter system can be detached easily and cleaned properly. Its amazing design will surely add charm to any kitchen counter.
Bodum Travel French Press:
If you want to enjoy a cup of freshly brewed coffee made in a French Press while traveling, then you should buy the Bodum travel French press. In this French press, you can make coffee or loose leaf tea as per your choice and drink from the same container by using it as a travel mug. There are two variants available – Stainless Steel and Acrylic. As the acrylic variant uses BPA plastic, it is much lighter in weight. Both have a double wall design with a vacuum seal. This helps in maintaining the heat inside the French press, while the outer portion is cool to touch. On the other hand, the stainless steel version will keep the coffee warmer for long and is more durable. As there isn’t much difference in their pricing, you can buy any one of them.
How to make French Press Coffee, Wrap up
So, let the French press spoil you with its amazing brewing method that delivers fresh and rich tasting coffee everytime! Now that you know how to make French press coffee, surprise your loved ones by brewing flavorful coffee within 4 minutes.