All You Need To Know About Roasting Coffee!
Are you roasting your coffee in the right way? Do you know the exact time when you need to stop roasting the beans? If you are finding trouble in roasting coffee accurately then fret not! Here is a detailed article that explains all that you need to know about roasting coffee.
Freshly roasted coffee beans provide immense freshness and flavor to a cup of coffee. So, roasting them well is of utmost importance. The flavor you get by roasting them at home cannot be found in store-bought coffee. There are innumerable characteristics of coffee beans that you need to keep in mind while roasting them. The intense aroma of freshly-roasted coffee is therapeutic. Also, it is loaded with antioxidants and nutrients, which boosts our immunity systems.
That said; let’s begin with the various stages of roasting coffee:
- Smell: The original coffee beans are green in color. When you start roasting them they will turn yellowish. Steadily, they will turn into brown color and start to smoke. At this stage, you will be able to smell the aroma of true coffee. The aroma of coffee is an important characteristic that adds to the fullness of the entire experience.
- Color: Depending on your preference, you need to roast the coffee beans. The light-medium brown color has mild sweetness and full aroma. If you prefer your cup of coffee to have strong aroma and mild sweetness then roast them a bit more and let them turn into full medium brown color. Medium-dark brown coffee is perfect for those who like strong aroma as well as strong sweetness. If you want to make espresso coffee then you need to roast them till the beans turn into dark brown color.
- Sound: As the beans have water content in them, they will make a crackling sound while getting roasted. This signifies that the water is getting evaporated and your beans are getting roasted well.
You may be wondering about the various ways on how to roast coffee. There are several ways to roast coffee beans at home. Some of the easiest methods have been discussed below:
How to roast coffee beans by using an oven!
- Begin by preheating the oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Pour the coffee beans on the baking sheet. Make sure that they do not overlap each other but are closely kept together.
- Keep the baking sheet with coffee beans in the middle rack of the oven.
- As the water content starts getting evaporated, you will be able to hear a crackling noise.
- Keep stirring them every few minutes so that you get an even roast for all beans.
- The entire roasting session should take approximately 15 minutes.
- Remove them immediately and transfer them into a metal container so that they cool down. Keep stirring them so that it cools quickly and the chaff gets removed.
Pros: If the oven is used correctly, then the lack of air flow can enhance the richness of the flavor.
Cons: As the air flow in an oven is very less, the coffee beans might be roasted unevenly.
How to roast coffee beans at home on a stove top!
The simplest way to roast coffee beans on a stove top is by using a popcorn popper or a pan.
- Clean the popper extremely well before roasting coffee beans as the beans could pick up the flavor of whatever was cooked earlier in the popper.
- Heat the empty popcorn popper on gas stove for up to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Add coffee beans in the popper and close the lid.
- Keep stirring it continuously so that the beans get roasted evenly.
- Once you start hearing the crackling noise, it signifies that the beans have begun to roast.
- Ensure that you have kept the windows in the cooking area open so that the smoke generated is let out.
- As soon as you hear the crackling noise, keep an eye on the color of the beans.
- When the coffee beans have acquired the perfect color, switch off the flame.
- Immediately, shift the beans to a metal container and continue stirring them until it cools.
- Leave the coffee beans exposed for several hours to de-gas by keeping in a loosely closed container.
Pros: Roasting the coffee beans on stove top will result in full body and even roast. Also, it is a very fast and convenient method to roast beans.
Cons: The aroma of the coffee beans will be lesser as compared to roasting them in oven. Your entire cooking area may become very smoky.
How to roast coffee by using an electric coffee roaster!
Depending on your budget and preference, you can purchase an electric coffee roaster for your home. Most of the roasters have glass lid so that the roasting process is visible. The roasters are very easy to use; even for beginners. Read the instruction booklet available with the product and use it accurately.
You can even consider purchasing a mini hand coffee grinder like the one in the image provided below. As the hand grinder is made up of stainless steel, it will never rust. Also, it is extremely easy and portable to carry it while traveling.
Pros: The mechanized roasters are the most efficient and easy method to have an even roast. They are simple to use and easy to clean.
Cons: These appliances are quite expensive as compared to other roasting methods. Also, they are bulkier than other options.
Well, now that you have learnt how to roast your own coffee, store them well and use the beans as per your requirements. Always store the roasted beans in an airtight container so that their flavor is preserved for a long time. Ensure that you store them only after you have allowed the coffee to rest for 6-8 hours to de-gas. Roasting your coffee beans at home will guarantee the freshest and tastiest beans forever. Moreover, you can roast them as per your preference – light, medium or dark. With these home roasted coffee beans you will be able to drink flavorful cup of coffee every morning. Enjoy your cuppa!